I can’t believe it’s here already: my last day working at the day job! Six short weeks ago I handed in my notice to concentrate on my little business, Clare Gets Crafty, and I’m super-excited to be starting a new adventure.
It wasn’t an easy decision to leave the world of PAYE but I’ve been lucky to have the support of my wonderful husband J and all my lovely colleagues at the University of Birmingham.
I’ve set some ‘new job’ resolutions to keep me focused over the next few months:
- Enjoy what I’m doing – remember that craft is first and foremost my hobby and something to love.
- Be less stressed – juggling family, home and work is never easy but I’m hoping that doing something that makes me happy will make me a less stressed and happier person.
- Have more quality time with my boys – N starts school next year and I’m looking forward to having more energy to enjoy the last months with him and W at home.
- Take it one step at a time – I have a tendency to plunge head first into things, but I’m going to be strict and give myself time to learn and develop.
- Get out there and meet people – I’m determined not to be holed up on my own at home every day. I want to meet fellow creatives and get involved.
- Get dressed before 8am – working from home doesn’t mean neglecting personal hygiene or resorting to wearing leggings every day!
I will be starting my ‘new job’ officially on 6 October but for now I’m going to have a gin or two, spend some quality time with my boys and enjoy my new-found freedom! See you on the other side…